Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS)
SMIMS offers a 4 ½ years MBBS course as per curriculum prescribed and recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI). This course carries the educational and technical excellence, which is a hallmark of all Manipal Group organizations. During the course, students are trained in theoretical and practical aspects of basic, pre- and para-clinical subjects and receive state of the art training from fully equipped and staffed medical college and teaching hospital. The teaching hospital is a tertiary care center serving people of Sikkim and North East India, in general and offers excellent scope for hands on clinical training. The teaching staff are experienced and trained in newer teaching, learning methods. SMIMS has adopted policy of constantly evolving and updating teaching, learning systems in keeping with MCI regulations from time to time. Thus, the students are exposed to novel learning environments facilitating better learning. For example, students get exposure to seminar presentations developing communication skills, participating in integrated teaching sessions and exposure to patient care in community setting and participation in short term research projects. The objective of training is not only to prepare the students to be responsible members of the community, but also to prepare them for higher education and training in India and abroad. The method of teaching is fully geared to achieve these objectives. SMIMS has also a scheme of teacher- guardian support system, which ensures that each student receives individualized academic and psychological support and career related counseling from members of the faculty during the entire study period. Thus, students pursuing MBBS at SMIMS not only undergo rigorous technical training, but also receive support to become good individuals and responsible citizens of the country.
|Course conducted by||Sikkim Manipal Institute of Medical Sciences (SMIMS)|
|Course Recognised By||Medical Council of India (MCI)|
|Fees (Indicative)||Rs. xxxxxxxx.xx (General, N/E, DEF)|
|Course Commences on||1st week August 2013|
|Eligibility||Specific to each category as mentioned below|
|Age||17 years or older as on December 31, 2013|
|Course duration||4.5 Years|
|Number of Seats||100|
|Last Date of Application||31 May 2013|
EligibilityCandidates must ensure that they fulfill all the prescribed eligibility requirements of citizenship, age and qualifications for the category applied. All admissions are subject to verification of the authenticity of the facts from the original certificates /documents submitted by the candidates. The decision of the University regarding eligibility of any applicant shall be final.
AgeAll candidates must be at least 17 years or older as on December 31, 2013. Date of Birth as recorded in the 10th standard certificate will be taken as authentic.
Academic QualificationsThe candidate must have passed the Higher Secondary Examination or the Indian School Certificate Examination, or any examination which is equivalent to (10+2) Higher Secondary Examination, the last two years of such study comprising Physics, Chemistry, Biology and English as an elective subject. Candidates appearing at the qualifying examination up to May 2012 are also eligible, but their admission to the college is subject to securing the prescribed percentage of marks in the qualifying examination.
Percentage of Marks
The candidate must have obtained pass marks in English, a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate in Physics, Chemistry and Biology with pass marks in each of these science subjects in the qualifying examination.
Twenty seats are reserved for Sikkimese students. Applicants seeking admission under this category should directly apply to:
Three seats are reserved for wards of active defence personnel posted in Sikkim as on 1.1.2011. The concerned defence personnel must be borne on strength of a military unit located in Sikkim as on 1.1.2011. Admissions are made on the basis of rank obtained in the Entrance Examination.
- Certificate from Commandant/Commanding Officer/Adjutant of their respective units showing at least 5 years of active service.
- Copy of posting order to Sikkim.
- Copy of joining report from appropriate authority based in Sikkim. (Do Part II order/casualty)li>
North East Category
Thirty seats are reserved for candidates resident in the states of Assam, Arunachal Pradesh, Nagaland, Mizoram, Tripura, Meghalaya, Manipur and Sikkim. Domicile/permanent residence certificate from the appropriate authority in respect of parent of the applicant is essential for consideration in this category. Admissions are made on the basis of rank obtained in the Entrance Examination.
Thirtytwo seats are available in this category. Admissions are based on merit obtained in the Entrance Examination.
NRI/NRI Sponsored/International Category
Fifteen seats are available under this category. Candidates are required to apply separately and admission will be given after screening conducted by SMU. The date of screening will be intimated after receipt of application. If the candidate himself/herself is not an NRI, then he/she may be sponsored by his/her father, mother, brother, sister, uncle or aunt, grandparent. For eligibility under this category the applicant must have obtained 50% marks in the last qualifying examination (10+2 or equivalent). For the purpose of percentage of marks in the qualifying examination candidates qualifying from Foreign Universities are required to submit the equivalent grading/percentage of marks from AIU (Association of Indian Universities, New Delhi), address of which is given subsequently.
- The distribution of number of seats under respective category is provisional and liable to change on Govt. orders /decision by the Governing Council
- The candidate must exercise his/her option for only one category in the application and the option is not transferable to any other category
- The authority reserves the right of disqualifying the application/candidature of NRI/International category at any stage of processing if the information submitted is found to be incorrect or Incomplete.
Documents required to be submitted with application form (under this category) are:
- Proof of NRI status in case candidate is NRI (Scanned copy of Passport only)
- Sponsorship by NRI if sponsored, with scanned copy of passport of the sponsor. A format of sponsorship letter is given below.
- Proof of residence of NRI/sponsor
- Application by candidate in plain paper/printed application form either downloaded from our website or as available with the prospectus
- Copy of mark sheet of qualifying examination
- Candidates qualifying from foreign schools/universities/institutions, equivalent marks to be obtained by the candidate from the Association of Indian Universities (AIU)
- A demand draft for a sum of Rs. 1,500 (Cost of brochure + fees Rs.1000) in favour of SMU, payable at Gangtok
Submission of Application Forms
Please read the instructions very carefully before filling the application form. Completed application form along with the copies of necessary documents in support of your claim should be dispatched to :
Hospital: Presently the Central Referral Hospital has 500 beds. It is a nine storeyed building with a floor space of more than 3,00,000 sq. ft. The hospital has 21 specialties, 8 operation theatres and state-of-the-art medical equipment.
|Last date for receipt of completed application forms||31 May 2012|
|1st round counseling/admission||July 12 - 17, 2012|
|Commencement of classes||August 2, 2011|
|2nd round of counseling / Admission||August 3 -7, 2011|
|Last date for Admission against vacant seats arising due to any reason||September 30, 2011|
Admission is strictly based on merit obtained in Entrance Examination 2011and availability of vacancy in the respective category at the time of counseling.
Counseling and admission will be at SMU, Gangtok. Dates for counseling for candidates as per their position in the merit list will be posted on our website. There will be no separate intimation sent by post. The candidates are strongly advised to look up our website regularly without fail.
- Candidates must be physically present for counseling and admission. By failing to be present for Counseling, candidates forfeit their right to admission
- No deferment of the date of counseling from the date assigned to a particular as given on the websites will be entertained for any reasons whatsoever.
- Appearing in counseling is not a guarantee for admission. Admission is strictly based on merit obtained in Entrance Examination 2011 and availability of vacancy in the respective category.
- Candidates called for counseling must produce the following original documents. In the absence of any of these original documents, admission will be provisional.
- Proof of date of birth (10 standard certificate)
- 10 + 2 Marks sheet
- Transfer certificate or School/College Leaving Certificate
- Migration Certificate
- Four recent, identical passport size photographs and four stamp size photographs
- Documents as required for admission in Defence, North East and NRI categories
- For SC/ST/OBC candidates with less than 50% marks in 10+2, SC/ST/OBC certificate from Appropriate Authority.
- Character Certificate
Mode of Payment
The fee should be remitted by a demand draft in favour of “ Sikkim Manipal Institute of Medical Sciences” payable at Gangtok.
For NRI/Foreign students, fees are to be paid in US Dollar demand draft on account of tuition fee as per the fee structure in favour of “Sikkim Manipal University” payable at Gangtok, India drawn from outside India, out of the account of sponsor. The clearing charges are to be born by the student in case of the instrument gets clear from outside India.
The payment can also be made in INR (Indian Rupees) provided that draft is made only from NRE (Non Resident External) account of sponsor with a certificate from the issuing bank. The conversional rate will be intimated through the counseling letter.
This fee can also be paid through SWIFT transfer from outside India. In such cases, the sender is to bear the transaction charges and the sender is also to provide the copies of proof of money transfer for follow-up and records. The payment instruction for SWIFT transfer is as follows:
For Credit to : JP Morgan Chase Bank, Swift Code : CHASUS33, A/C # 001-1-406717
Beneficiary Name : SIKKIM MANIPAL UNIVERSITY OF HEALTH MEDICAL AND TECHNOLOGICAL SCIENCES
Beneficiary's Address : 5th Mile, Tadong, Gangtok, Sikkim 737102
Beneficiary's Account No : 04201450000042
Beneficiary's Bank : HDFC BANK LTD, GANGTOK BRANCH, INDIA
For the second academic year, all the qualified candidates have to pay tuition and other fees within one month from the date of declaration of 1st year results. For the third/fourth/fifth academic year, (form third year onwards) tuition and other fees have to be paid by 31st of July of each year respectively.
- Delayed payment of fees will attract a modest fine of 0.5% p.m in the first month, 1% in the second and third month, and 2% for more than 3 months.
Schedule of Payment of Fees